Database professionals who wish to implement Oracle to MySQL migration should think about all advantages and disadvantages of every DBMS before they begin. This informative article gives a vital view of cons and pros for Oracle and MySQL.
– Advanced security system. Unlike MySQL, Oracle supports groups or roles. Also, Oracle has capability to deny a privilege in, while MySQL only allows to grant.
– External authentication options like LDAP, Active Directory. MySQL supports only built-in authentication.
– True full-text search. In My SQL this feature is limited and only available for non-transactional storages.
– Sophisticated administration tools and IDEs for debugging.
– Integration with business intelligence applications.
– High price. The Oracle product can cost multiple times as much as comparable MySQL solution.
– Complexity. Unlike MySQL, Oracle demands comprehensive skills in database administration due to complex engine.
– It’s open source.
– Low Total Cost of Ownership. The price of MySQL commercial licenses is less expensive than same configuration of Oracle. Also, MySQL has less demands to the hardware platform compared to Oracle.
– Each table can have a different storage engine.
– Each storage engine has particular behavior, features, and properties.
– Does not support user-defined types.
– Does not support fractional part of seconds for time and date time types.
– There are no recursive queries.
– Does not support functional columns that are calculated as expression.
– “ALTER TABLE” or “CREATE TABLE” statements are non-transactional.
– Does not support materialized views.
– Does not support sequences.
– Does not support roll-back recovery, only roll-forward is supported.
– Foreign keys are not supported in most storage engines.
If data base migration is proved after all conditions, it’s sensible to consider focused software products for automating the migration process. Intelligent Converters provide two products to convert Oracle to MySQL and MySQL to Oracle. Both products convert all database objects except stored processes and triggers and support command line to auto mate, script and schedule the conversion process. Other features:
– All versions of Linux/Unix and Windows MySQL and Oracle are supported
– Option to merge or synchronize data with existing tables
– Option to filter data for export using SELECT-queries
– Converts indexes and foreign keys with all necessary attributes
– Option to customize resulting table structure
– Option to convert selected tables
– Conversion settings can be stored into profile for next run
– Full Unicode support
All software program and products available through Intelligent Converters are offered with unlimited 24/7 support service and 1-year subscription for updates.